Company Profile: Brew Dr. Kombucha is a Portland, Oregon-based manufacturer of 100% raw, certified organic kombucha. It is an offshoot of Townshend’s Tea Company, founded in 2006. Both brands are run by the same CEO and are co-marketed. Brew Dr. is in its 8th year of business and is one of the nation’s leading kombucha brands in both the natural and conventional channels.
Job Title: Director of DSD Sales – Northeast U.S. (based in New York, NY or surrounding area)
Purpose: Sell BDK & Townshend’s Tea products by maintaining and expanding customer base serviced by our DSD partners; directing ASMs, working with distributors; supporting events, demos and marketing efforts in the Northeast U.S.
Reports to: East U.S. Region Sales Director – All Channels
- Develop and execute annual business plans for all Northeast U.S. DSD distributor partners, conduct periodic distributor review meetings
- Responsible for expanding the BDK footprint in the Northeast U.S. by delivering against all volume, revenue, and profit objectives
- Manage on and off premise businesses in the Northeast U.S.; excluding grocery chain accounts
- Effectively lead a team of Area Sales Managers (ASMs) to establish, develop, and grow a strong base of on-premise and off-premise accounts
- Develop, cultivate, and maintain strong relationships with all DSD distributors and key accounts.
- Develop ASM KPIs tied to overall growth objectives for the region
- Provide East Region Sales Director with market intelligence and recommendations for effective planning and programming
- Execute new product launches to match company objectives
- Directly manage all aspects of assigned sales territory.
- Participate in evening and weekend promotions and assist with special events as necessary.
At Distributor level:
- Lead a team working with distributors to build awareness of the BDK portfolio, assist in Kombucha education, and develop effective programming.
- Work with, coach, and educate DSD partners on BDK brand priorities and standards
- Establish a strong presence with all DSD partners to ensure BDK has high visibility and is top of mind with all distributor sales reps
- Partner with distributors to ensure fulfillment of accounts’ needs.
- Work with distributor reps to open new accounts; sell in incremental flavors and packages, etc. by doing ride alongs / ride withs.
- Make sure distributors have enough POS materials and each rep has the necessary monthly
- Secure display/secondary space, shelf space and share of cold box.
- Improve BDK location to either #1 or #2 in every account. Secure a second point of distribution in the store, building displays, end caps, resetting cold boxes, and increasing visibility through point-of-sale.
- Maintain positive business relationships and communication with account owners, managers, and buyers.
- Identify and successfully sell to new customers.
- Develop proposals for prospective customers and deliver sales presentations.
- Provide excellent customer service through developing a regular route/call pattern to: book displays, place permanent point of sale, plan promotional activities, offer after sale follow-through, provide BDK and Kombucha education, etc.
- Introduce and sell in new flavors and packages, including activities to support sell through.
- Create and implement programs designed specifically for on-premise accounts.
- Conduct employee, distributor, wait staff/bartender education seminars.
For Consumer Accounts and Customers:
- Follow Through is #1. Always deliver what you promise. Always Service the Customer
- Perform samplings, tastings, and evening promotions as needed.
The Basics for the Position:
- Previous sales experience in the food or beverage categories
- Previous experience managing distributors; alcohol or non-alcohol
- Proven experience and strong abilities in educating and motivating others to manage business effectively
- Extensive knowledge of the Northeast U.S. market
- Be an energetic, enthusiastic, self-motivated, self-disciplined, competitive, assertive, confident, goal-oriented self-starter with the desire to succeed.
- Work independently and with the rest of the sales and marketing team to accomplish goals.
- Be able to manage a territory from a home-office base.
- Be very organized in order to manage multiple tasks with strong attention to detail.
- Have excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
- Be outgoing and friendly.
- Be able to travel daily, work flexible hours including nights and weekends.
- Be proficient with both email and Microsoft Office.
- Commit to constantly improving knowledge of BDK products, Kombucha, and the general beverage industry.
The purpose of this summary is to describe the essential job functions and the level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position. This description is not an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by this position. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties from particular jobs and assign other duties as necessary.
Candidate should have:
- A safe driving record.
- A valid driver’s license.
- A registered, insured, and dependable vehicle.
- The ability to drive to and from accounts continuously.
- Territory is the Northeast U.S.
- The ability to lift and move cases and kegs of kombucha / BDK products frequently, climb, kneel, and stoop to arrange and display point of sale.
Through the combined effort of our Teahouses, Brew Dr. Kombucha, and Thomas & Sons Distillery, Townshend’s Tea Company is dedicated to crafting unique and always-delicious tea beverages. Our commitment to authenticity and integrity is mirrored in the care we have for our people, our community and our planet.
COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY & A GREEN WORKPLACE
Working hard to use our planet’s resources more wisely and take better care of people is very important to us. It is the responsibility of the person in this role to work with colleagues and supervisors to execute on the activities of the department that contribute to fulfilling our commitment to environmental sustainability.