Company Profile: Brew Dr. Kombucha is a Portland, Oregon-based manufacturer of 100% raw, certified organic kombucha. It is an offshoot of Townshend’s Tea Company, founded in 2006. Both brands are run by the same CEO and are co-marketed. Brew Dr. is in its 10th year of business and is one of the nation’s leading kombucha brands in both the natural and conventional channels.
Job Title: Laboratory/Cellar Technician
Purpose: Provides support to Laboratory and QA/QC. This is an excellent entry-level opportunity to work with a premium kombucha company.
Reports to: Director of Technical Services
- Operate Anton-Paar alcolyzer for routine finished package analysis
- Operate Anton-Paar alcolyzer on pre- and post- stripped samples (alcohol)
- Sample collection
- Daily monitoring of fermentation tanks
- Lab data entry
- Assistance with sensory training
- Help organize and maintain kombucha library
The Basics for the Position:
- Ability to maintain an organized and efficient work flow while demonstrating a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize and complete ongoing tasks assigned by Director of Technical Services.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and composition, including use of proper grammar and logical/attractive spatial design of forms, reports, charts and flow diagrams. Ability to speak effectively before groups of managers or employees of the organization.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and safely in a production and/or lab environment.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Candidate should have:
- Previous lab and/or cellar experience is a plus but not required
- Educational background in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology, Enology, Brewing or related discipline.
- Intermediate MS Word or Google Platform experience.
- Ability to sit continuously at a computer
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive fermentation and tea flavors and aromas
- Standing – ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to climb a ladder occasionally
Through the combined effort of our Teahouses, Brew Dr. Kombucha, and Thomas & Sons Distillery, Townshend’s Tea Company is dedicated to crafting unique and always-delicious tea beverages. Our commitment to authenticity and integrity is mirrored in the care we have for our people, our community and our planet.
COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY & A GREEN WORKPLACE
Working hard to use our planet’s resources more wisely and take better care of people is very important to us. It is the responsibility of the person in this role to work with colleagues and supervisors to execute on the activities of the department that contribute to fulfilling our commitment to environmental sustainability.