Job Title: Quality Assurance Specialist – Tualatin & Portland, OR
Purpose: Manages, maintains, coordinates, improves and helps develop and facilitate changes to Brew Dr. Kombucha’s food safety and quality procedures. This includes ensuring safety of the product and processes around creating, brewing, and packaging of Brew Dr. Kombucha.
Reports to: Director of Technical Services
- Stay current on regulatory policies, directives & notices, and provide effective liaison with government regulatory agencies.
- Manage, maintain, and improve Corrective Action and Document Control System.
- Manage, maintain, and improve Internal Audit System, function as Lead Auditor, and run lead on all 3rd-party audits.
- Ensure Portland and Tualatin facilities maintain required 3rd-party audit scores or above.
- Oversee supplier raw material compliance regarding source supply protocol, food safety and quality.
- Audit and drive improvement of pre-operation and operational SSOP programs, define requirements for master sanitation program and sanitation performance standards, and verify corrective actions.
- Coordinate with all departments to ensure employee training and documentation regarding the principles and practices of FSMA, SSOP, GMPs, allergens, records, food defense, defined regulatory prerequisite programs, and organic certification programs.
- Manage, reassess and improve FSMA-related programs.
- Analyze consumer complaint trends and work with other departments to develop plans to reduce consumer complaints.
- Develop, audit, improve, verify, and validate GMPs, SOPs, specific performance standards, and other prerequisite programs including pest control, maintenance, supplier letters of guarantee, foreign object management, crisis management and preparedness, food defense, analytical composition evaluation, weights and measures, etc.
- Establish process and product sampling testing justifications, objectives and standards for product, equipment and plant environment.
The Basics for the Position:
- Ability to maintain an organized and efficient work flow while demonstrating a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize and complete ongoing tasks assigned by Director of Technical Services.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and composition, including use of proper grammar and logical/attractive spatial design of forms, reports, charts and flow diagrams. Ability to speak effectively before groups of managers or employees of the organization.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and safely in a production and/or lab environment.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Candidate should have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology or related discipline.
- 2+ years of Food Industry Quality Assurance experience.
- Knowledge of national organic program regulatory compliance requirements.
- Intermediate MS Word or Google Platform experience.
- Preference given for SQF, BRC or 3rd party food audit environment experience.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to sit or stand continuously at a computer
- Carry and lift up to 5lbs frequently and up to 50lbs occasionally
- Heightened sense of taste and smell to detect and perceive fermentation, tea flavors and aromas
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to climb a ladder occasionally
Through the combined effort of our Teahouses, Brew Dr. Kombucha, and Thomas & Sons Distillery, Townshend’s Tea Company is dedicated to crafting unique and always-delicious tea beverages. Our commitment to authenticity and integrity is mirrored in the care we have for our people, our community and our planet.
COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY & A GREEN WORKPLACE
Working hard to use our planet’s resources more wisely and take better care of people is very important to us. It is the responsibility of the person in this role to work with colleagues and supervisors to execute on the activities of the department that contribute to fulfilling our commitment to environmental sustainability.